Starting on 24 September 2022 Go to schedule
Yoga Through the Lens of Trauma and Incarceration
The Prison Yoga Project, in collaboration with Delight Yoga, is offering a special workshop for yoga teachers and committed yoga practitioners interested in sharing practices with people who have been impacted by trauma.
James Fox, Founding Director of Prison Yoga Project, will lead the two-day event drawing on his ten years of experience establishing yoga and mindfulness programs in both adult and youth prisons in the U.S., Mexico, and Europe, as well as his nineteen years of teaching classes at San Quentin Prison.
What you will learn:
This unique weekend workshop will include:
- A thorough introduction and understanding of the Dutch Justice System and its different types of prisons.
- A clear understanding of the socio-economic, racial and cultural disparity issues common among incarcerated people, and how they contribute to trauma and can influence criminal behaviour.
- Examining implicit biases from one’s own background and conditioning that might inhibit rapport in teaching, and lessen the effectiveness of sharing the potential benefits of yoga with program participants.
- An understanding of the different types of trauma and the lasting impact of developmental trauma.
- A thorough investigation of the practical application of yoga and mindfulness practices for addressing mental and behavioural health issues.
- PYP’s evidence-based pedagogy and distinct approach to teaching yoga that differs from other trauma-informed or trauma-sensitive teaching methodologies.
- Instruction in specific asana, pranayama, meditation, and other embodiment practices that have proven effective with people suffering from symptoms of trauma including incarcerated people.
This training qualifies for Continuing Education (CE) credits with Yoga Alliance for Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT). Prison Yoga Project is a member school of The International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT).
Required extra training
In order to participate in this training, participants must complete the estimated 6 hours of preparatory online self-study prior to the 12-hour in-person segment of the training.
|DATE / TIME||LOCATION||TEACHER|
|25 September 2021, 10:00 – 13:00||Prinseneiland (Haarlemmerplein)||James Fox|
|25 September 2021, 14:30 – 17:30||Prinseneiland (Haarlemmerplein)||James Fox|
|26 September 2021, 10:00 – 13:00||Prinseneiland (Haarlemmerplein)||James Fox|
|26 September 2021, 14:30 – 17:30||Prinseneiland (Haarlemmerplein)||James Fox|
|This workshop is only available as a full course, total price:||€ 395|
You can register for this workshop by clicking ‘Book’ and paying online with iDeal, Credit Card or PayPal. Full payment is required to ensure your place. Registration is confirmed when payment is complete.
Please read article 16 ‘Cancellation of Workshop Registration’ in Delight Yoga’s General Terms and Conditions to know exactly where you stand.
A note on Wellbeing – Creating a safe and sacred space
We wish to create a safe and sacred space to study, practice and grow for everyone. Please take care of your own health and wellbeing while participating in classes, workshops and, trainings offered by Delight Yoga. If you’re currently having any physical, emotional or mental issues, or prefer no hands-on adjustments, please make sure to discuss this with the teacher up front.