September 9-10, 2023
Yoga Through the Lens of Trauma and Incarceration
The Prison Yoga Project (prisonyoga.org) in collaboration with The Space to Breathe Collective (spacetobreathecollective.co.uk) is offering a special training for yoga teachers interested in sharing practices with people who have been impacted by trauma, including the incarcerated.
This unique training involves a total of 22 hours – 8 hours of online study and preparation prior to the 14 hours of in-person training. The course will include:
- A review of the UK’s philosophies of justice and prison system
- A clear understanding of the socio-economic, racial, and class disparities common among incarcerated people and how they contribute to trauma and criminal behavior.
- Self-reflection of one’s own perceptions or conditioning that might inhibit the effectiveness of sharing the potential benefits of yoga with incarcerated people.
- The differences between retributive and restorative justice and their influence in the criminal justice system.
- PYP’s evidence-based pedagogy and distinct approach to teaching yoga for mental and behavioral health issues.
- Instruction in specific asana, pranayama, meditation, and other embodiment practices proven beneficial for addressing unresolved symptoms of trauma.
- Strategies for establishing yoga programs in correctional centers, rehabilitation facilities, and for marginalized communities.
WHERE: The Space to Breathe Collective, 6 Hotel Street, Leicester, England
WHEN: Saturday, September 9, and Sunday, September 10: 9:30-12:30; 13:30-17:30
COST: US$325 (260 GBP)
CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 07947 517916