How to Dismantle Mass Incarceration

UnCommon Law and ChangeLawyers partnered to deliver a series of webinars on mass incarceration, with an intentional focus on BIPOC Communities.

You can view the recording of the first webinar in the series, “How to Dismantle Mass Incarceration,” here:

https://www.californialeaderssummit.org/post/how-to-dismantle-mass-incarceration

There were many takeaways for me from this webinar, and it was all the more powerful to witness this discussion as the country awaited the verdict of the Derek Chauvin trial. What stands out to me the most at this moment is the acknowledgment that while convicting Chauvin was absolutely necessary, the focus must be on accountability on a city and state level.

I wrote down these questions to myself as they were shared: Who is my sheriff? Who is the DA? Who is the judge? How can I routinely hold them accountable as they determine which cases are assigned to restorative justice programs?

It takes each person holding public officials accountable to create a lasting change to this deeply harmful system.

Responses