3 Users
2 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Recording of February 8, 2024 Live Session

Movement & Breath Slide Deck

If you were unable to attend the live session, please watch the recording as you are able. Once you engage with the recording, please share your reflection of the discussion of human anatomy, Posture resources, and Breathing practices. What questions or additional insight would you like to add?

Lisa
(@lisacchoc)

Hello fellow Yoga peeps! 

I loved the music you played at the beginning of the session, Jen!!!  Thank you!

Every session is sooo enlightening!  I found that I still am not particularly liking the non-human with skin versions of poses, etc...I am sure at some point I will get over it!  LOL 

I appreciate the insight of being a yoga instructor and not performing or displaying the poses in a way that would not allow all to feel comfortable/competent. This yoga is a healing yoga and it is certainly unlike the yoga classes I have been a part of.  Gotta spread the word!   I am learning how to break down the poses and realize how important this understanding is. Start poses with less...love it.  Allowing students to realize and build on their own capacity. This way one can expand, grow, increase their asanas...a confidence builder-so helpful!  As opposed to the other way around.  WOW

I am having difficulty with my own breathing and found that cat/cow pausing in table top and allowing myself to be vocal upon exhalation (lion's roar/breath) is definitely helping my 'self' release 'stuff'.  Gotta get the trauma out! Something I will definitely encourage when I begin teaching!

Love the variations of breath work!  So powerful. Sometimes I do get dizzy/light headed. Good to be aware of.

Thank you!  See you all Thursday!

With gratitude,

Lisa

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@albertalamodegmail-com)

I loved watching the video of the skeleton doing all the poses—Metallica meets yoga!

“Bodies are built for survival.”

The muscular systems has over 600 muscles.

Muscles receive their ability to move through the nervous system.

Muscles are

1. Excitable and irritable
  2. Contractible
  3. Extensible – stretched
  4. Elasticity – return to OG shape
  5. Adaptability

Muscles movements

1. Adduction – toward the midline of body
  2. Abduction – away from the body
  3. Flexion – bending a joint to decrease angle between two bones/body part
  4. Extensions - bending a joint to increase angle between two bones/body part
  5. Rotation – moving a body part around its access

3 type of muscles moved VOL/INV

1. Cardiac – involuntary
  2. Visceral – involuntary - organs
  3. Skeletal – voluntary - attach w skeleton

Tendons – attach a muscle to a bone

Fascia – attach muscle to muscle

In Tadasana there is a LOT of activation in the body.

Quad muscles engage in Uttasana.

In Utkatasana (and in general with many “squat” poses) I have a hard time engaging glutes.

In contrast, in Salabhasana - engaging the glutes comes much easier.

Love me my Ujjayi Pranayama. Actually, I love me all these techniques – haha.

Cooling breath is so not for me – I run cold…

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote