2 Users
2 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Prison Yoga Project  

Post-Graduate YTT Mentors

Here is a link to the roster featuring some Mentor photos.

Veronique Fox (she/her)

Lyon, France  

Central European Time/UTC+02

Hello, my name is Véronique. I go by she and her. I live in France. I grew up in France but spent most of my adult life in California. I moved back to France in 2015.

Populations served/of interest to serve: 

In September, I will begin teaching English to school drop-outs. I would like to bring yoga to them as a way for them to rebuild their self-confidence, to increase their ability to focus and become aware of their abilities. I would also like to serve the incarcerated population in my hometown of Lyon.

What led me to PYP:  

I was asked to translate some PYP material into French. I then attended a workshop in Paris. There, something shifted in me. After my husband had died, I had spent several years in deep mourning and could not find anything to drive me. Wherever I was, I felt out of place. But there, what I was hearing was opening new perspectives and making complete sense, so I enrolled in the YTT training, which has been a revelation to me. What I have experienced and learned throughout the training has allowed me to move out of depression, to accept my life with serenity, to move forward instead of looking backward.

Why I wish to Serve as a Mentor:

I wish to serve as a mentor to continue this journey and deepen my experience, to exchange

with others, share with them and learn from them, to be an active part of this wonderful

community and, through these exchanges, to find my voice as a trauma-informed-yoga

facilitator.

Cathya Ocasio (she/her)

Stratford, New Jersey, USA

Eastern Standard Time

Youth, incarcerated populations

What led me to PYP: 

My own experiences with trauma led me to become interested in yoga and meditation as a healing modality. I discovered quickly that yoga in the west is more about upholding harmful and oppressive beliefs and is an elitist group rather than a force for collective liberation. In searching for organizations that aligned with the true meaning and purpose of Yoga, I joined the PYP YTT cohort. I am still learning and applying the gems and knowledge that I learned through PYP. Yoga is a daily practice for me.

Why I wish to serve as a Mentor:

I think mentorship can be a transformative and supportive process while learning and growing in PYP’s cohort. I am excited to support and hold space as folks experience this truly transformative teacher training and life course. 

Andrea Bonilla  (she/her)

Brownsville, Texas, USA

Central Time Zone

Incarcerated population, Immigrant population, Bilingual (spanish-english) population, teen-youth population

What led me to PYP:

I was led to PYP’s YTT after volunteering at a non-profit organization, The Journey Home, which brings trauma-informed mindfulness practices to incarcerated women in Easton, Pennsylvania. After my time volunteering, I knew I wanted to refine my skills and bring trauma-informed mindfulness practices to more communities, and I joined PYP’s YTT. I’m currently using my skills to guide virtual mindfulness classes to underserved communities and families in D.C. The classes I guide include light movement, affirmation tapping, meditation, journaling prompts, and a video and discussion on holistic wellbeing.

I wish to serve as a YTT Mentor because I believe in the positive transformation that results from PYP’s program, learning in community, and sharing our unique experiences. My intention is to support our community’s growth by sharing my unique perspective, recognizing diverse and new perspectives, connecting our community with resources, and providing support and feedback throughout the program. I’m looking forward to growing with the community and program, and refining my leadership and facilitation skills along the way.

Kaia Jackson  (they/them)

Massachusetts, USA

Eastern Time (currently in Central until August 8th but after will be in ET).

I have experience offering yoga to folks with disabilities and chronic illness and trauma survivors. I am interested in serving incarcerated women/gender-non-conforming and non-binary folks in the future.

What led me to PYP: 

I was drawn to PYP's YTT for so many reasons. I was seeking a community of learning and practice that centered and valued lived experiences of trauma, and valued trauma-informed ways of being. I had experience in a prior yoga teacher training program that did not feel fully accessible or inclusive of me and my pedagogical interests, and I felt excited to study and grow alongside colleagues who were asking similar questions, and taking brave steps in their personal and collective healing journeys.

I am excited to serve as a YTT Mentor in order to continue to learn and grow in my trauma-informed teaching practice through collective inquiry and practice, while offering accompaniment and support to new students as it feels helpful. I am glad to serve as a resource as someone who has moved through the program, and also to relate as a colleague who is asking similar questions, and who is willing to hold space for the messiness and unknowing of the learning process 🙂 I'm excited to get to know you!

Dominique Mitchell (she/her)

San Diego, California, USA

Pacific Standard Time

Hi Everyone! My name is Dominique Mitchell, She/Her. I am located on the beautiful Kumeyaay Land also known as San Diego, CA (Pacific Standard Time) . I am a current student getting my formal education in substance abuse counseling. My “day job” is as a Usui Reiki Master and intuitive energy worker. 

What led me to PYP:

I fell in love and felt a deep calling to the Prison Yoga Project’s mission during my husband’s incarceration term. Inmates are truly a passion of mine, I feel so deeply called to help bring a light to this community and show them even in prison, you have a way out and can find peace. I believe regardless of the past each and every human being deserves compassion, healing and a break from their own mind. I know that by coupling my energetic gifts, my formal education and this work with the Prison Yoga Project I will be able to help those who have felt the effects of the toxic spaces and energies incarcerated individuals are subjected too. My calling to help others who feel trapped, showing others healing is possible at any time, in any space and my intuition led me to actually take the leap to sign up for the course and each and every day I am using what I learned. Whether it’s a simple legs up the wall to help my own anxiety, reflecting on the asana’s while working with my clients and groups  (and while dealing with this crazy world, lol) or being able to help guide someone into an alternative pose that works best for their body and injuries, there always seems to be a way to incorporate this work to help better care for myself and others. 

Monique Anderson (she/her)

Belgium 

Central European Time: CET

incarcerated populations, youth, incarcerated youth, prison officers

What led me to PYP: 

I first started to practice yoga in 2001 when I was working as a prison officer at a category B, male prison in London (UK). It was a huge challenge to work as a young female officer in a Victorian era prison which was struggling with staff shortages, poor conditions, and cuts in the services and regimes. Yoga was really important in helping me to stay focused and grounded and to help me to deal with the stress that I experienced. I found myself spontaneously sharing my passion for yoga informally with loved ones over the years. I did a teacher training in 2018 which was great in many ways, but I felt that there was something missing. The social justice and inclusivity focus of the PYP training really spoke to me. This seemed to present a way to combine my passion for yoga with the work that I have been doing in the fields of restorative justice and the research that I do in victimology. Yoga has supported my mental, physical and spiritual health for so many years now, and has helped me to pull myself through difficult times. While I work on finishing my PhD in the next months I am currently working on my self-practice but I look forward to sharing my practice with others as soon as I have finished.

I hope that by sharing my experiences I can support a YTT student but I also very much look forward to learning from their experiences. I have gained so much from the PYP and want to be able to give back in the ways that I am able. I also really look forward to meeting the incredible folks who have been called to do the training.

Deva Hardeep Singh (he/him)

Muscogee Creek Nation Reservation/Oklahoma, USA 

Central Standard Time

Indigenous, Income Challenged, Carcerated, Post-Carceration, LGBTQ+

What led me to PYP:

Being an ex-felon myself, I know the benefits of Eastern practices. PYP offers a program of education that so compassionate with freedoms of self expression. PYP program offers the best in trauma-informed and accessible yoga. Their system really offers the hope all those carceratec or those desiring to offer services to those carcerated. This is a community that I have found a home with.  I am beginiing to teach via YouTube, and locally wiith the Indigenous and low income families I live amongst. 

I have a servants heart and desire to support for anyone who needs it. As well to stay focused by reviewing my own traning along side with my fellow participants. 

Elizabeth Melson (she/her)

Flint Hill, Virginia, USA

Eastern Standard Time (EST)

As a formerly incarcerated person, I am most interested in sharing yoga and mindfulness with people in recovery, through accessible community events, and practicing with people experiencing incarceration. 

What led me to PYP:

I was incredibly emotionally touched when I heard that an acquaintance was facilitating yoga in the local jail. She told me about PYP. I started following PYP on social media, just in time to learn about and apply for the inaugural 200-hour YTT. I recently launched my website for sharing trauma-informed yoga with others and I am currently in the process of being accepted to facilitate in RSW Regional Jail.

I am so grateful for PYP. They generously give of themselves and make their programs accessible. I want to support them, by offering to mentor the next cohorts. Selfishly, I miss the connection and weekly interaction!

Ana Cristina Nery

Los Angeles, California, USA 

Pacific Standard Time (PST)

I currently serve men and women re-entering society or leaving gang life as well as those incarcerated in the LA County prison system.

What led me to PYP:

because a) it finally went online so I could attend 🙂 and b) my background in teaching kundalini yoga hadn't set me up for a trauma-informed practice and I knew that in order to best serve these populations, I needed this training from an organization I knew I could trust. 

I've been teaching meditation since 2018 at Homeboy Industries, a reentry/gang recovery program in east Los Angeles, as well as teaching yoga the past year at CA State Prison in Lancaster through Prison Yoga + Meditation. I have 100% incorporated what I've learned through PYP's YTT into both of these programs. 

I wish to serve as a YTT Mentor to provide aid to the lead teacher(s) and to offer perspective as someone who's been doing this work with these populations for some time.

Paige Jennings (she/her) 

Escondido, California, USA

Pacific Standard Time (PST)

My town is located in the northern part of San Diego County (Kumeyaay land), and we are on Pacific Standard Time. My fulltime gig is as a high school English teacher (16 years). I was a member of PYP’s inaugural yoga teacher training.

I have been volunteering as a PYP facilitator at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility, a men’s state prison in the southern-most part of San Diego County, since the beginning of summer.

What led me to PYP:

I was introduced to the work of PYP when it popped up on my Instagram feed early in the pandemic. I was teaching from home, had extra time on my hands, and a general curiosity lead me to the Foundational Training in spring 2021, which then lead me into the YTT. I’m still not sure what force was directing this interest, but I was cut off from the purposefulness I usually feel in the classroom and distressed about the state of social justice in our nation.

Although I have my own deep yoga practice (20+) years, I knew very little about trauma-informed yoga. Over the five months of training, Jen and Chanda provided a meaningful, in-depth, and heart-lead education. Because of Covid, I couldn’t put my training to the test until this July when I finally facilitated my first session. The skills I had developed during the training, partnered with the mentorship I’m receiving locally, allowed me to share purposeful movement and authentic interaction with the men at Donovan.

I have so much still to learn and experience as a PYP facilitator, so I’m not signing on as a YTT mentor to provide sage advice and expertise. What I do know is that I am a huge believer in the vision and impact of PYP, and I want to help support that growth through their training of future facilitators. This work is vital to the easing of suffering for people impacted by incarceration. I want to be a part of this work.

Tiffany Blackwell-Nelson (she/her)

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA 

Mountain Time Zone

I plan on working with all incarcerated populations with a focus on veterans and staff/ COs.

What led me to PYP:

I wanted to be a prison minister and a child. I suffered a lot of trauma in the military and was looking for something to help. I wanted to work with forgotten about populations get about teaching in prison. My degree wasn’t going to get me in and so I thought, “ I wonder if you can teach yoga in prison?” Then I found PYP. The skills I have learned during training have saved my life and kept me from being incarcerated myself! I am making more rational and sound decisions even when I’m triggered.

I wish to serve as a mentor because I believe my level of trauma can be used to help others out of their dark space. I truly just want to serve people who have been forgotten about and misunderstood.

Celeste Odiakachi (she/her)

Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Central Standard Time

Drug and Treatment Rehabilitation Programs, Juvenile Detention Centers,the Women’s Work Release Program 

What led me to PYP:

I wanted to be of service to People dealing with unresolved trauma and become an unwanted detainee already in the Social Justice Systems. I want to teach yoga in drug and alcohol treatment centers to those court ordered. I also be of service to those in treatment not court orders (yet). 

I believe mentoring someone in the PYP YTT Program is another opportunity for me to give back. To give freely what this program has been given me. To prepare the next PYP Facilitators for the journey if a lifetime.

Cristalee McSweeney (she/her)

Vermont, USA

Eastern Standard Time

Justice involved individuals with a heavy focus on those in recovery, under supervision or participants in restorative justice programming

What led me to PYP

I was drawn to PYP as I am motivated to continue my quest for bettering our systems for justice involved individuals. Working in the field of restortaive justice, I see on the daily, the continuation of harm that is perpetrated upon justice involved individuals both by the system and the self.

We can and must create better systems that focus on individual as well as collective healing.

I see yoga as an integral part of healing and recovery.

I currently teach yoga for those in recovery as well as for those who are justice involved on the outside of facilities. Additionally, I just took over organizing and revitalizing VT's programming and working with DOC to enhance yoga within our state run facilities.

I want to share my knowledge and skills with others and continue to build community with yoga! I believe that we are all part of the greater collective and I wish to continue to do my part in contributing. I also recently completed the PYP and found that it would have been really helpful to have a mentor that I could turn to for support, deeper dives and reflection!

Mary Sherr

Orlando, Florida, USA

Eastern Standard Time

Since my PYP graduation, I joined a handful of local yoga instructors who collect supplies and

donations – as well as offer friendship, meditation, and yoga – for a residential center for

women and families. The center serves single women, single parents with children, and intact

families.

In addition, I am waiting on my fingerprint and background appointment to volunteer with the

Florida Department of Corrections.

I am a former teacher and visual artist with certification in therapeutic arts. Art, like yoga, is a

beautiful facilitation tool to help others. I enjoy seeing people initially uncertain about their

abilities – holding a pose or creating a drawing – become more positive and prouder. The

capacity for humans to open their hearts and minds continually amazes even when their lives

are greatly disrupted.

PYP provided a trauma-informed lens to view many things unseen.

Once described as living inside a blender, my mind is more still and quiet. Understanding one’s

worth and abilities is a challenge, but living intentionally feels good. Before PYP, my self-esteem

was tied to appearing authentic without actually being so.

I am re-learning who I am without judgment and trying to honor my values where I previously

lived obstructed.

Amber and Lori reacted
(@gratefuldebbie)

Gratitudes for each one of you!  Thank YOU for making a difference for others, opening your experiences and hearts to support my and my fellow cohorts journeys, and honoured of glimpses of how PYP has impacted you thus far.

Veronica, I hope to be in France some time in 2023!  I look forward to meeting, sharing a few hugs, conversations, and sitting @ a cafe in your beautiful home town.

Cathya, I am a Jersey girl so of course we must connect.  And of course, it must be at a diner!  I will reach on FB.  My # 973-290-9642. Blessings.

ReplyQuote