Notifications
Clear all

Inspirational Resources: Artists, Authors, Poetry, Film, TV, Podcasts, etc.

8 Posts
5 Users
10 Likes
(@tinanery)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone - feel free to share here inspirational resources that might help us become more aware of our biases and expand our understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. I'd like to share one of my favorite Maya Angelou poems, Still I Rise.  

STILL I RISE

by Maya Angelou

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
This topic was modified 2 years ago by Ana Cristina

Monique and Sabitri reacted
(@dharmaokemah)
Estimable Member

for me it's the film, "The Power of One". This is not an exageratation I've seen it like over 50 times in my lifetime. The synopis is: The Power of One is an intriguing story of a young English boy named Peekay and his passion for changing the world. Growing up he suffered as the only English boy in an Afrikaans school. Soon orphaned, he was placed in the care of a German national named Professor von Vollensteen (a.k.a. "Doc"), a friend of his grandfather. Doc develops Peekay's piano talent and Peekay becomes "assistant gardener" in Doc's cactus garden. It is not long after WWII begins that Doc is placed in prison for failure to register with the English government as a foreigner. Peekay makes frequent visits and meets Geel Piet, an inmate, who teaches him to box. Geel Piet spreads the myth of the Rainmaker, the one who brings peace to all of the tribes. Peekay is cast in the light of this myth. After the war Peekay attends an English private school where he continues to box. He meets a young girl, Maria, with whom he falls in love. Her father, Professor Daniel Marais, is a leader of the Nationalist Party of South Africa. The two fight to teach the natives English as Peekay's popularity grows via the myth. Peekay loses focus until he sees the success of his language school among the tribes. Daniel Marais comes to stop Peekay's English classes and Maria is killed during the fight. He and Guideon Duma continue the work in hopes of building a better future for Africa."

As well it was the first to introduce me to the beautiful music of the Afrikiners. The music was done by Hans Zimmer. THe song Sensenini was one that hit me always in the heart. https://youtu.be/JkvW1nNrFro   and the lyrics are: 

Senzenina
Sono sethu ubumnyama
Abulale[ni] afe wonke
Mayibuye iAfrika
The translation:
What have we done
Our crime is to be poor, our crime is to be black
Let Africa come back
I hope this helps a little

Monique and Ana Cristina reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dharmaokemah)
Estimable Member

the storyline was written by .—Greg Brunson and used from the Storyline of the IMDB website. 

ReplyQuote
(@mmcm)

Thank you, Ana and Deva:

Ana -- I like Ben Harper's version of this poem turned into a song (and Ben Harper in general)! How could we not love someone who names his band 'The Innocent Criminals'?! 😊 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgzdkZe4ig

ReplyQuote
(@tyrinrogersgmail-com)

I like to start my day off with affirmations and 1 inspirational song today was "Believe for it" by Cece Winans. It's a beautiful and powerful song it moves me each time I hear it. 

ReplyQuote
(@sanyalsabitri88gmail-com)

Thank you so much <3

Ana Cristina reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tinanery)
Topic starter  

@tyrinrogersgmail-com Thank you Harold! I haven't listened to the Winans since I was in college working at a record store on the westside of Chicago. Cece's 2021 live version of this just got me choked up 🥲

Harold reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tinanery)
Topic starter  

I need to share this book I'm in the middle of, "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander. What a revelatory history of how we arrived at where we are with mass incarceration...the data/numbers are infuriating. I feel this, among Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and so many others, should be required reading for all high school students to learn the true history of the "free world".  It will anger you and fire you up and show you why Ahimsa is all the more necessary for us to practice as students and teachers.  

Find it here on Amazon (description below):

Seldom does a book have the impact of Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. Since it was first published in 2010, it has been cited in judicial decisions and has been adopted in campus-wide and community-wide reads; it helped inspire the creation of the Marshall Project and the new $100 million Art for Justice Fund; it has been the winner of numerous prizes, including the prestigious NAACP Image Award; and it has spent nearly 250 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list.

Most important of all, it has spawned a whole generation of criminal justice reform activists and organizations motivated by Michelle Alexander's unforgettable argument that "we have not ended racial caste in America; we have merely redesigned it." As the Birmingham News proclaimed, it is "undoubtedly the most important book published in this century about the U.S."

Now, ten years after it was first published, The New Press is proud to issue a tenth-anniversary edition with a new preface by Michelle Alexander that discusses the impact the book has had and the state of the criminal justice reform movement today.

ReplyQuote