Notifications
Clear all

3/16/23 Week 9 Reflections (After Watching the Recording)

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

3/16/23 Week 9 Recording

After watching the recording, please reflect on the presentation and discussion of Saucha. What are your thoughts on this Niyama? What other considerations might you offer to this discussion?

Please also offer the movement and postures you might offer in a 15 minute sequence featuring Strength & Mobility, Concentration & Focus, and Integration & Relaxation. Thank you!  

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Jen

(@jeremiah-holland)

How do I remain aligned with my personal truth and consider all of the potential harms in my life? How do I reduce new harms and prevent new traumas from impacting the healing in my life? Good questions. Sacha, or purity, is a very helpful concept. Let’s define saucha as a purity that comes from within of being, not an idea that is imposed from outside of a being.  

How can we connect with how we really feel? And as you said in the zoom, how can we connect with how we fully feel? - not just what our brain thinks.  The practices that were offered in the zoom seem excellent:1) clearing the clutter, both inside and outside. 2) Deepening relationships with the self. 3) Continuing to grow, always maintaining the attitude of a student. 

I am definitely clearing the clutter, both inside and out at the moment. I’m also meditating every morning and every evening for at least 15 minutes. I haven’t done this since I was in my early 20s and only then for a short period of time. It feels great. I am definitely continuing to grow right now. It feels good. 

Strength/Mobility - I will begin on hands and knees since we will be coming out of centering.
Begin with cat/cow - 10 breaths.
From cat cow it’ll be into mountain pose. forward bend and back to mountain. 
Mountain pose into downward dog.
Walk hands to feet. Up into Mountain.  Forward fold to hands to floor. Walk hands out into Downward Dog. Repeat.
Downward dog in the warrior one. Do lateral bends and lateral twists in warrior one.  Back into Downward Dog  

Concentration / Focus - Standing Balance Postures - I will move from Downward Dog into Mountain and then into Star.  Bends and twists in Star.  Then into Eagle.   Move right leg across front of body onto block.  Move right leg back and forth across body with arms twisted.  Right arm under left if right leg is across body.  Repeat swish left leg.  Back to Mountain and then into Warrior 3.  

integration/ Relaxation - Seated Twists.  Right hand to left knee.  Left hand reaching behind back.  Reverse.  
Supine twists.  Then into sitting position (blocks under butt) for five minute breathwork.  After sitting - onto hands/knees to feet.  Rubbing the palms together and lacing them on body.  Rubbing hands together and palms out to world.  H

ReplyQuote
(@jeremiah-holland)

How do I remain aligned with my personal truth and consider all of the potential harms in my life? How do I reduce new harms and prevent new traumas from impacting the healing in my life? Good questions. Sacha, or purity, is a very helpful concept. Let’s define saucha as a purity that comes from within of being, not an idea that is imposed from outside of a being.  

How can we connect with how we really feel? And as you said in the zoom, how can we connect with how we fully feel? - not just what our brain thinks.  The practices that were offered in the zoom seem excellent:1) clearing the clutter, both inside and outside. 2) Deepening relationships with the self. 3) Continuing to grow, always maintaining the attitude of a student. 

I am definitely clearing the clutter, both inside and out at the moment. I’m also meditating every morning and every evening for at least 15 minutes. I haven’t done this since I was in my early 20s and only then for a short period of time. It feels great. I am definitely continuing to grow right now. It feels good. 

Strength/Mobility - I will begin on hands and knees since we will be coming out of centering.
Begin with cat/cow - 10 breaths.
From cat cow it’ll be into mountain pose. forward bend and back to mountain. 
Mountain pose into downward dog.
Walk hands to feet. Up into Mountain.  Forward fold to hands to floor. Walk hands out into Downward Dog. Repeat.
Downward dog in the warrior one. Do lateral bends and lateral twists in warrior one.  Back into Downward Dog  

Concentration / Focus - Standing Balance Postures - I will move from Downward Dog into Mountain and then into Star.  Bends and twists in Star.  Then into Eagle.   Move right leg across front of body onto block.  Move right leg back and forth across body with arms twisted.  Right arm under left if right leg is across body.  Repeat swish left leg.  Back to Mountain and then into Warrior 3.  

integration/ Relaxation - Seated Twists.  Right hand to left knee.  Left hand reaching behind back.  Reverse.  
Supine twists.  Then into sitting position (blocks under butt) for five minute breathwork.  After sitting - onto hands/knees to feet.  Rubbing the palms together and lacing them on body.  Rubbing hands together and palms out to world.  H

ReplyQuote
(@amandarichlinegmail-com)

I appreciated the discussion on getting rid of clutter. I have a lot of clutter in my head. I held onto a lot of things in my addiction as a way to have some control in a life full of chaos. It wasn't until after I went through recovery that I realized the things I was holding were unimportant and kind of gross and unnecessary, these were physical belongings. Still, it applies to what I held in my head and heart. 

I appreciated when Gail said, "Distractions keep us in our head and out of our bodies." that hit deep and makes so much sense. I like when someone said Shaucha=Self compassion. 

I could relate to the idea of being self-sufficient, but I am learning how important community is and how much we need each other.  

For the movement:

Strength/Mobility - 

Side Stretch (Parsvottanasana)

Place your left foot in front of you, standing, facing forward. Place right foot back, with toes turned out at a slight angle. See how it feels to square your hips to face forward.

You can put your hands on your hips if that is comfortable or find a place that feels right.

Bend at hips, working to keep the spine and neck long as you fold forward using a block or chair. You can explore moving your hands to the floor or continue using the yoga block.

Hold the pose for a few breaths, then return to standing.

Swap the positions of your feet with your right foot forward now and repeat.

Then we would try variations of Warrior 1 followed by a chair pose.

Concentration / Focus - Standing Balance Postures 

From chair pose, we would go into Mountain pose and then into Warrior 2, followed by variations of tree pose with a reminder that we can blow in the wind. 

Integration/ Relaxation - 

Then we will come down to the floor and start with seated twists, and then recline into Supta Matsyendrasana or the Reclining Fish Pose is a twisting pose while lying down while your arms are out to your sides, and explore twisting your one leg bent to a comfortable position over your other straight leg. We will switch to the opposite side.

We will end our practice with Savasana, which allows the body and mind to settle down, integrates physical practice; helps to build a sense of self-awareness, and calms the nervous system. Focusing on our breath and bringing awareness to our body and any sensations as we check in doing a full body scan before slowly returning to a seated position.

ReplyQuote
(@mariahbodysoulgmail-com)

I enjoyed this discussion of the Niyama Saucha as well as the mention of connecting to our gut instinct. Like a few others that mentioned it on the call, I too am well aware of the fact that physical clutter in my space really impacts the mental clutter in my mind. However, it goes overlooked when life starts happening (family emergencies, busy work weeks, scheduling conflicts, etc.). I know this to be particularly true with my space at home. When I have a super busy or sometimes defeating work week, even though I know I'll feel better cleaning my space on a Friday evening, it isn't the first thing I feel like doing when I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I think the same thing to be true when considering what foods I am putting into my body. Sometimes when I'm feeling down, I want to eat yummy foods that aren't the best for me. I know how good I feel when I am eating foods that fuel my body in a healthy way, and I know the result of that is a clear mentality, uplifted mood, clean energy, etc. I appreciate the different layers in the meaning of saucha - cleanliness and purity, how it asks us to consider our personal truths in relation to what we feel is ethical. It reminds us that remaining aligned with these truths reduces new harm or trauma from impacting our healing process. 

I also really appreciated Jen's mention of her experience with past trauma and moving through her yoga practice with "angry yoga." I resonated with this and her mention of not fully acknowledging the layers of hurt that were present because I have done the same in the past. I've operated in survival mode without recognizing the impact of the many layers I was trying to mask with excessive workouts or taking on extra projects so I didn't have to think about other things, etc. What made the world of a difference for me (as Jen also mentioned for herself) was being in community, finding a tribe, journaling, focusing on love and things that bring me joy. This is what gives me my voice and my power back. This relates to saucha because decluttering of the toxic layers allows for healing and new growth. 

15 min sequence

Strength & Mobility

Starting in standing position or mountain pose

Forward fold - holding for 3 breaths at the bottom, then come back up bringing arms wide and up, then hands together at the top and bringing to heart center

Warrior 1 - holding for 3-5 breaths, or option to move in and out of this pose

Warrior 2 - holding for 3-5 breaths, or option to move in and out of this post

Concentration & Focus

Slow march, or alternating knee raises

Warrior 3

Pigeon pose

Integration & Relation

Option for shavasana, child's pose, or any relaxing pose that feels safe to the participant

I would also include an optional body scan meditation to bring awareness to physical and emotional sensations during our relaxation

Thank you for this discussion!

ReplyQuote
(@sharreda-agmail-com)

Saucha, Purity. I totally understood this when I read "Exposing The Dirt". I have never known how to describe what it feels like for me to be "unpure" than to say that It makes me feel dirty. This Niyama is closely related to the Yama of Satya. When I do not live my truth, I do not feel pure. And how can I live my truth.....or even know my truth if my mind and life are cluttered?!? Loved this discussion!

15 Minute Sequence:

Strength and Mobility:

Move out of seated position into hands and knees.

Cat/Cow 5 Breaths

Walk hands forward and rock back and forth 

Back to hands and knees.

R foot back toes on ground, L arm extended in front, swap sides.

Lift hips walking toward hands and come to standing position

Focus and Concentration:

Check in with body in Mtn Pose

(Using Chair)

R foot back, both legs straight, forward fold. Center. Chair pose. then L side

Lift R arm up and stretch over head, then L side

Tree Pose

Integration and Relaxation:

Move from Mtn pose to seated

Seated twist variation

Head to knee

Supine Belly twist

Shavasana

ReplyQuote
(@jennievtcmonterey-org)

There was conversation about clutter. Clutter for me is a daily thing that happens inside my mind. I also like to call squirrel when I am focused on one thing and then my mind instantly goes somewhere else. I have such a hard time concentrating and I believe that is due to my lack of balance with my mind and my body. Lately I have been getting up and walking outside to clear my mind when the thoughts just won't stop. The mobility factor for me while the clutter is so strong, is huge. To know that for a few minutes in fresh air, I am able to clam the mind and focus back on my breath and remember "one thing at a time". 

We talk about the Strength and Mobility. For that sequence I would start with the standing position. Hands on heart. I would take a moment to offer a closing of the eyes and tune into the breath. I would ask that everyone focus on their breath. In through the nose and out through the nose. I would ask everyone to stay here for 4  deep breaths. (eyes open, or the option of close)

As for Concentration and Focus, I would use chair pose, to mountain pose. I would ask the class who is comfortable standing, and who will need to use a chair for this. For chair pose, I would ask to sit up tall but bringing their arms over their head as far as they can go (due to mobility issues with shoulders). I would then ask them to bring down their arms and sit up straight. I would do this with with a co-facilitator while they did the actual poses while standing. each pose would be through 4 breaths with any breaks needed in between. 

For Integration and relaxation, I would ask for a cat and cow pose, as well as a Childs pose to end the class. 4 to 5 breath rounds alternating between cat and cow allowing the mind to become still and relax. I would then offer Childs pose for the final sequences and those that would not be able to be on the floor, I would ask that they will sit there, while focusing on their breath, eyes open or closed, brining it back full circle to where the practice started. 

ReplyQuote