Notifications
Clear all

3/2/23 Week 7 Reflections (After Watching the Recording)

7 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

3/2/23 Week 7 Recording

Please reflect on the discussion of Brahmacharya (non-excess). Practice planning a Strength and Mobility sequence and offer any thoughts/questions you have on this portion of sequencing. I apologize again for the shorter recording demo! Please let me know if you'd like to meet to discuss additional resources for this portion of sequencing.

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Jen

(@jennievtcmonterey-org)

Please reflect on the discussion of Brahmacharya (non-excess). Practice planning a Strength and Mobility sequence and offer any thoughts/questions you have on this portion of sequencing.

1. Cat-cow (Chakravakasana): 10 full rounds
  2. Cobra (Bhujangasana): 10 breaths
  3. Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): 10 breaths
  4. Child's Pose (Balasana): 15 breaths
  5. Cat-cow (Chakravakasana): 10 full rounds

I like the fact of being able to start with a cat-cow (energy release) and also end with it. I think that being able to use the "rollercoaster" term to reflect on Brahmacharya gives the right amount of energy to the strength and mobility portion of sequencing. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@amandarichlinegmail-com)

I could relate to the discussion of Brahmacharya (non-excess) compared to addiction; this cycle is very evident as someone in long-term recovery. Even though I don't use any mind or mood-altering substances anymore, I still tend to reach for something to soothe myself that is outside of myself, tv, phone, and FOOD. I have been struggling with this lately. I don't think I realized the link before, but I still seek something to comfort me. Even in the rehab, I went through the focus on food as a way to celebrate, and overindulging causes many people, including myself to trade one struggle for another. I gained a lot of unhealthy habits in the process of recovery that I am still working through.

I like how we discuss repairing rather than replacing, even in relationships. I work in sustainable fashion, and I am all about thrifting, repurposing, and repairing over buying new I love this concept in our relationships with others when the world says people are disposable, yet everyone and everything are redeemable. I like that you addressed sitting in pain rather than turning to outside excess and being comfortable being alone "as you are," something I still struggle with. You said it perfectly, Jen; my own head and body can feel like a dangerous place. The trauma that I have experienced makes it hard or uncomfortable to truly connect to myself. But I am finding that through these practices, it is getting safer and more peaceful.

I will be working on planning a  Strength and Mobility sequence. I have been watching more of the videos to gain a deeper understanding of the practice, and trauma-informed sequencing, and invitational language. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeremiah-holland)

I was sad to miss the live session so I watch the recorded session. I also will be watching next week session recorded as well. I want to say how much I miss the live sessions, because I miss and appreciate all of you so much. It’s funny to think that I only knew one of you a couple months ago and now I look forward to seeing all of you. I love the exchange of ideas and laughter and the smiles.  I love being put in breakout rooms with new people. It’s all been so great. It’s a really a great group to go through this training with. Thank you thank you for sharing your lives.

brahmacharya - I would love to only take what I need with gratitude and to leave what I do not need with grace. Sadly, I have a history of enjoying things excessively.  I would love to say that I am free from dependencies and cravings, but that is not the case.  I’ve spent my teenage years through my adult life reaching into a soothing yet unhealthy bag of tools. Yoga, meditation - these are the tools that I’m trying to develop and sharpen. I know I am in excess when things outside of myself becomes the focus. I’m glad to say that I’m not drinking alcohol any longer and I’m hoping to illuminate directions from my life as well. I’ll keep you updated.

At present I am ending my centering portion of the progression in a seated position. I am transitioning from the seated position to the strength and mobility part of the progression.  I need to work on this portion more than the other portions of the progression.  For many of the people in the class they might be stronger here as opposed to the energy release/dynamic warm-up/centering.  My comfort level is high with the energy release, etc. It is The strength and mobility, Asana‘s, etc. that I am less comfortable with. But I’m becoming more comfortable. And I think all of you. 

Jeremiah 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

@jennievhvftio-org I love this, but please also consider that many folks who are quite new to the practice may have difficulty with longer holds for postures. Typically 3-5 breath cycles are appropriate with a newer group and as they begin to deepen competence, you can gradually increase some holds for breath, more in the integration and relaxation section. Another point too, if you are interested in offering an opportunity to hold postures for longer, inform individuals of where you are going and invite them to come out of the posture when they feel ready.

ReplyQuote
(@jennievtcmonterey-org)

@jen-lindgren thank you for this insight. I think that will be a great learning curve for me to understand that most of the residents who will be taking the class will be new to the practice, it is better to start small and then gradually increase.

Thank you!! 

ReplyQuote
(@sharreda-agmail-com)

I love the discussion on Brahmacharya, non-access. This concept was so foreign to me while I was in my active alcohlism....more is better, more is better....that was my motto. Today I can truly say I have experienced the benefits of Brahmacharya. But I must remember that it is an ongoing practice in my life, not something that I master, check off my list and move on. I must stay diligent with making sure my Ego doesn't step back in. The Kleshas are a subtle foe and will sneak up on me when I am not looking. One thing I have learned through my Recovery process is that I cannot give away what I do not have....If I do not practice Brahmacharya for myself, I cannot effectively give the teachings to someone else. 

The strength and mobility section of the sequence was what I expected to be the easiest. Then, of course, I realized there was so much more for me to learn. The gentleness of moving from the floor to standing, while making each portion of the move beneficial. Not holding the postures but moving smoothly and constantly. All I could think was, Learn the body before we push the body. A relationship with myself and my body was my first real step in my yoga practice. 

ReplyQuote