3 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

3/28/24 Live Session Recording

Program Check-in & Santosha Slide Presentation

Invitational Cueing Slide Presentation

Greetings!! If you were unable to join the live session, kindly watch the recording and share your reflection as you are able. Please add any questions you may have about the remaining session of the program and/or requirements for completing the program.

Share your thoughts on the discussion of Santosha (Contentment) and invitational cueing. Please also consider reaching out through a new thread here in the forum or by email if you are interested is sharing space with other cohort members to practice facilitation.

Choose the first or second half of a trauma-informed sequence and provide your ideas of what you may offer as a sequence to participants.

Please also consider scheduling time to check in with me during office hours. You can schedule using this link.

Jade
(@jaderichettalehighcounty-org)

As I have been moving through this training, I've noticed I use many external things to try and satisfy my craving for peace and happiness. This idea of contentment is perfect for the things I have been meditating on. Learning that buying products and clothes, distracting myself with social media only brings temporary satisfaction. I'm able to sit with my feelings before going to the automatic responses I would use to satiate myself. Interacting with all of these intelligent, amazing people makes me realize that my mind will automatically go to comparing myself or not feeling worthy to be in the space rather than using it as an opportunity to learn and make connections. Accepting myself where I am at and seeing potential for growth has been so freeing. It has led to more internal peace!

My perspective on why I practice yoga has shifted drastically over these past few months. I believe this is in part due to the invitational cueing and allowing me to explore what feels good rather than pushing myself to the max. I've learned to enjoy yoga rather than seeing it is an obligation to exercise or to feel "healthy". It's something I want to bring to everyone I will facilitate to, especially those that are experiencing yoga for the first time. I think if this was incorporated when I first took a yoga class 4 years ago, I would not have to do so much unlearning. 

Since I am going to be teaching to women ranging from early 20s to mid 60s with varying backgrounds in exercise and activity, current mobility, etc. I plan to start off with the most accessible postures then work my way up as they request. For the first 1/2, I'll start with chair options, slight movements with arms, hands, legs, ankles, then offer standing. I'd like to incorporate side body stretches, cat/cow, twists, head movements for warmup, then possibly some folds in centering. I want to be fluid and flexible during each practice if there are some requests or questions. There may be more of a routine in the beginning until I feel more comfortable facilitating. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@m-zettlerhotmail-com)

I really liked the definition of contentment being the lack of desire for anything one does not have. That makes it sound so simple for me in my life. It makes me think that I'm alive in this present moment and therefore I must already have everything I need. 

But I also think it's easier for me to reach a state of contentment because the basic things I need to survive are readily available to me. I have access to water, food, shelter. But not everyone has access to these things like I do. Does that mean they can never reach contentment? If drinkable water was not readily available to me, would I be able to feel contentment in my life? This definition makes me think not because I would have a desire for it and I can't be content if I have a desire for something. Or do I find contentment in my life and accept water for when it does come my way and the trust that I will receive water as I need it which eliminates the desire for it? I don't know.

I also like the statement that gratitude is a root for contentment. If I truly appreciate everything I have in my life and don't take anything for granted, I think contentment is an automatic byproduct of that gratitude. Again if I'm alive and functioning in this moment, I really don't need anything outside of what I already have in this moment. I don't desire anything external. I already have what I need.

In terms of invitational cueing, I 100% believe it's going to take practice to get the wording to be as inclusive as I want it to be. And I'm human and I will make mistakes. But the power comes from learning from those mistakes and understanding why certain language is not appropriate for a trauma-informed sequence or anytime I'm facilitating a class and want to eliminate comparisons or thoughts that one variation of a pose is better than another.

For the first half of a trauma-informed sequence, with the outline provided in the recording, I would do something along the lines of:

3 min Energetic Release (notice mobility and range of motion, what is "today's body"?)

Swinging arms forward and back standing or seated, stomping legs standing or seated, torso rotation/ twist standing or seated, raise arms up and down with breath standing or seated. Cueing participants to notice how their body is moving and feeling today.

8 min Dynamic warm-up (spinal movements, joint movement, coordination)

Standing or seated cat and cow, internal and external rotation of hips if group can stand with or without chair, leg abduction and adduction if group can stand with or without chair, neck stretches to left and right side standing or seated, side stretch standing or seated, downward dog with or without chair. Cueing participants to notice what they feel in their bodies as we move through different movements. Maybe giving offerings of how useful props can be, reminding participants that their practice is unique to them and it won't look like anyone else's practice.

4 min Centering 

I think Mountain Pose would be a good first centering pose. Hands either at sides, heart center, or one on stomach, one on heart, whatever feels best for participants. Reconnecting with breath. Cueing participants to notice how their body feels after doing some movements. Noticing where they feel the breath as they inhale and exhale.

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Lisa
(@lisa-mcleod)

Time has gone really fast.  Excited and nervous about final presentation.  I like the quote "  Go easy on your self, your doing great. This is really hard."  It helps.

Santosha- Finding contentment in a discontented world.  When I look at it from a whole world view, it seems unattainable to me.  I have to take it in small bites.  The three parts are satisfaction, Gratitude, and Happiness.  I feel those in part of each, multiple times.  Grateful to get out of  bed in the morning, for friends, family etc. Its an external kind of thing. I find satisfaction in doing a good job, having a meal I like, reading a book in bed on a rainy day.  And Happiness is very internal for me.  I mostly wake up happy and talkative and silly, which often irritates the people in my house who don't wake up that way.  

Trust of Self-  That's a hard one, its a learning for me that I am working on. am I good enough.  I cringe when asking myself the question, "Do I trust my self?" It becomes a trauma response, " Can I or is it ok to trust me?" Ugg

Gratitude for self-  Never even considered it.  I saw an award show where Snoop Dog received an award and he thanked himself for all his hard work.  Everyone else was thanking other people.  I didn't get it, but I do now.  So now I say three things that I am grateful for about myself. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote