Mindfulness Activity #1 Breath & Posture

10 Posts
7 Users
9 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

This week's mindfulness activity is asking you to bring awareness to your posture and breath. As you go about your regular daily schedule, take time to notice how you support your posture, how your posture may shift or change depending on what you are experiencing and notice also patterns of your breathing. Are there times when your breathing is quicker, slower, or deeper than in other situations? What is happening when these changes in posture and breath occur?

Feel free to share your experiences in this thread or add to your personal journal.

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Jen

Amber reacted
(@jaimethomasmsn-com)

I am just going to jump in here.  I am assuming that as we are given these activities, we should post our thoughts.  So, I brought more awareness to my posture and breath in the last few days.  To begin with, it was a no brainer that I began to relax and had more of a curved spine as my breath slowed down and I was coming to the end of my day and unwinding.  I went to a place that was preparing me for nightly sleep.  I have what I call my daytime posture.  I just "am".  I don't give much, if any thought to my breath.  My posture however does change as I face different thoughts or I perform daily activities.  If I need to speak to someone on the phone, I do tend to sit more upright as if in a position of authority.  My breath usually stays the same, unless things are not working how I envisioned them.  I will say I am very thankful for my personal yoga practice, which gives me space and time to bring awareness to my posture and breath and allows me to be more connected as I move throughout my day.  

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
 Lisa
(@lisa-mcleod)

I realized last week that my posture is often slumped and my back is curved.  And I am breathing shallow.  Trying to sit up better and remember to take some deep breaths.

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mmeyers6992)

During the day I typically sit up in chair with my back pressed against the chair to give some support and then I notice throughout they day depending on the work if I am on the phone I can either be hunch over at my desk slumped deep in my chair. This cause really short breath versus when I'm upright in my chair its filled with longer deeper breaths. 

While walking I'm up right shoulder's rolled back and a nice fast pace walk. I notice though if I'm sitting up supported it is hard for me to retain upright without feeling some discomfort in my breath and shoulders and spine. It is almost like my shoulders and head weigh too much to keep up. 

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
 Lori
(@lori)

@lisa-mcleod same with me. and when i become aware i fix my posture and can take deeper breaths. i have to make sure that i pay attention to how i am sitting.  

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
 Lisa
(@lisa-mcleod)

@lori l actually like breathing lol. I find it interesting the ways in which I am self forgeting.,😊

Amber and Lori reacted
ReplyQuote
 Lori
(@lori)

@lisa-mcleod LOL Agreed!! 😋 

ReplyQuote
(@fcameron)

I have noticed that when I am going about my day at work I can get into a rhythm, however when I try to step away from work and move on (like see friends, cook, read...) if work crosses my mind my breathing gets rapid and shallow and I can feel my chest activated and tightening. I have also noticed that my hip flexors are very tight (not related to breath but I've been feeling it doing postures). It has all made me realize that so much of our daily lives is working against us. Or rather, we're working hard, but a lot of this work, specifically on computers like my work, is very hard on our bodies. 

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gratefuldebbie)

@jaimethomasmsn-com 

so can relate to so called ‘day time posture’.  You wrote, “I don’t give much, if any thought….My posture however does change as I face different thoughts or I perform daily activities.”  Soo can relate!  

also loved “…thankful for my personal yoga practice, which gives me space and time…allows me to be more connected….”  

I wonder if one’s personal practice helps one not be as agitated by small disturbances or mess ups.  I believe such is the case for me.

People often comment how “calm” I am.  I know internally such is not the case while I may not react quickly or as negatively as another which is a person’s perspective of my being “calm”.

Amber reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gratefuldebbie)

@lisa-mcleod 

as I read your share I am noticing slumped over and breath is shallow; thanks for posting.  Planting feet on floor and resetting iPad in a way to sit up straight spine.

it is quite cold where I am presently and remembering a YOGA teacher of years ago saying, “ it is especially important to sit up and stand tall with a straight back so as to take deep full breaths.  It will help to not get sick during weather changes.”

anyone else taught such? 

ReplyQuote