Notifications
Clear all

Yoga Teacher Training Introductions

29 Posts
27 Users
103 Likes
(@rayleen)

My full name is Rayleen Courtney McMillan, and my pronouns are she/her or they/them. I occupy land stolen from the Multnomah, Wasco, Cowlitz, Kathlamet, Clackamas, Molalla, and many other peoples, now known as Portland, Oregon.

My family of origin includes a mother I am estranged from, who has been active in a variety of addictions since before I was born, and a father who I did not know until I was 30 years old, who passed away two years ago. I am an only child. My ACE score is 9. The state removed me from my mother's care at age eight, and I lived with my grandparents until age sixteen. They were both decent people and have both passed away. I grew up around a handful of cousins, and one of them I am still in relationship with. 

Hmmm, my professional work. Well, I am currently working on my second graduate degree, but the context is far less stuffy than it sounds. I quit high school during my junior year and worked in the sex-adjacent and service industries through the first half of my twenties. In my late twenties, I made a wild change, attending college and beginning a career in politics. By my mid-thirties, I held a BA and MA in political science and had established a successful career as a legislative lobbyist and electoral consultant... and my soul was gasping for air. Though I worked for and with progressive policymakers, navigating the political arena usually meant having to moderate my own radical perspectives for the sake of making incremental steps toward dismantling the status quo. I had to mask over huge pieces of my personal history and hide many of my own truths. And I was spending dozens of hours each week with a fake smile on my face, consistently evaluating my proximity to power and wetnursing the egos of elected officials and civic leaders. (Similar to working in the sex-adjacent and service industries, no?) Complex story simplified, I left politics at the end of 2019 after being accepted into a creative writing MFA program (which I just completed my first year of!). I massively downsized my monthly expenses and possessions, moved into an adorable converted schoolbus, and I have never been more stable or more grounded in my truths. I continue to simplify my life and get very quiet with myself, so that I will hear source clearly when it articulates my next professional calling. 

Currently and recently, my own yoga practice is sparse, and I am ecstatic to be reintroducing it into my daily life. My asana practice started suffering prior to the end of my political career, and then it took an enormous blow during the year 2020: I have been in recovery from alcoholism since 2014, and suffered an extended relapse last year. So right now I am simultaneously in long term recovery and early recovery, thus reintroducing my yoga practice with patience and intention. 

While I have zero desire to make my income teaching yoga, I know in my bones that the wisdom I obtain in this YTT is going to play a major role in the work I do next. I actually never thought I would do a YTT. As a western white woman, I have long felt a little gross about the idea of calling myself a yoga teacher, though I've been volunteering as one for the last four years (with local nonprofit Living Yoga). Even as an able-bodied, athletic white person, I have always felt wildly uncomfortable in studio culture, and have largely avoided it. Nonconsensual hands-on adjustments activate my body's stored trauma, the price point at most studios is absolutely disgusting to me, the air of competition feels incredibly harmful... I could go on. And these personal discomforts existed before I had a lens on the violent cultural misappropriation that the yoga industrial complex rests on. Suffice it to say, I haven't spent a lot of time in studios in the fourteen or so years I've been practicing. Prison Yoga Project's YTT offering is actually the first one I have ever been interested in. I can't quite describe the honor it is to be here.

Populations I want to continue serving include women and femmes, fellow queers, sex and sex-adjacent workers, and people in recovery from addiction. I am currently volunteering on a pilot project for Living Yoga, bringing outdoor yoga sessions to some of our houseless neighbors here in Portland. Also with Living Yoga, I have had two other year-long placements: one in a county jail and the other in a residential drug treatment facility. I am hungry to continue serving in jails, prisons, or inpatient facilities, and very much want to expand my service to other parts of the united states, and perhaps Mexico also.

What do I do fun? Hooray for this question! Well.... I am constantly singing or/and dancing, though I am trained in neither of them. 😀  I am currently learning to play the guitar. Oh, and I recently joined a pole studio! Pole dance is my all-time favorite workout, and there is something truly delicious about reclaiming it all these years later. And true to my pacific northwest roots, I spend a ton of time outdoors. At 38 years old, I still kinda have to pinch myself when I take in this land I was born of: these magical volcanoes, the forests that cover them and the valleys between them, this ocean, these nearly countless rivers.... I can frequently be found in and among them all.

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pjennings161sbcglobal-net)

Hi again! My name is Paige Jennings, my pronouns are she/her, and I live in Escondido, in North San Diego County. I was born in San Diego and have lived in the region all of my life. Although I have gone through challenges in my life, I was blessed to be raised in a supportive, intact family, supplemented by a loving network of extended family members and friends. My parents, though in their early 80s, are still a vital force in my life and that of my sister. For more than 20 years, I have owned and lived in a Craftsman bungalow in the historic section of my town. I am aware of the privilege afforded me based on my heritage (European/British/Scandinavian) and my place of birth.

I graduated from San Diego State University in 1991 with a journalism degree and full-time service job in the hospitality industry. After graduation I kept my hotel job and accepted an unpaid PR internship at Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD. After six months, Scripps hired me, which began a wonderful nine-year adventure in science writing, technical editing, photography, and travel. Eventually I needed to fly the nest. I left in 2000 and did PR for a fitness organization briefly before taking a job at California State University San Marcos. I knew PR wasn’t my calling, but four years in the stars aligned and I entered the university’s teacher credential program. Now, in 2021, I am wrapping up my 15th year of teaching high school English. I love teaching (pandemic teaching---not so much)!

My first yoga class was in my late 20s at a women’s gym. My first Ashtanga class was soon after at a studio in Encinitas. Following the first two-hour class, I wasn’t sure what had just happened (and I couldn’t move my arms), but I was hooked. I settled into a small Ashtanga studio in San Marcos (closer to my house) and became part of an amazing, quirky community for many years. This changed when I went back to school and my teacher closed the studio, moved to Austin, and started a shaman school. My practice languished, with a class or two a week, until seven years ago when I found a studio a mile from my house. There, I built a new community and started practicing Anusara regularly. It was another beautiful little space, but tragic events lead to its closing two years ago—leaving me and my practice partners in the midst of a yoga desert. We traveled south about 10 miles and found yet another small, but supportive community. For me, practicing in a shared space has been vital and transformative. Fortunately, the owner/teacher of my studio has been committed to that community throughout the pandemic. This past year would have been so much worse if it weren’t for my practice (online) and those I share it with. I’ve also been part of a Buddhist sangha for the past decade. I definitely don’t go it alone!

I first encountered PYP on a suggested Instagram post because it was being followed by members of my studio. I started following and, a few months later, I came across an announcement for the Foundational Course. I signed up for that, and soon after I came across the announcement for the YTT. Chain reaction! After more than 20 years of practice, this was the first time I had thought seriously about going through a formal training.

I haven’t fully thought through all of the populations I might work with, but I feel working within the local prisons and jails is where I will begin. I know there is an established program here, and I’ve already felt so supported as I begin the journey. I spend most of my professional time with adolescents—many of whom are living with deep levels of trauma. I’m sure the insight and skills I will obtain over the next several months will be of benefit in my own classroom.

Right now, at this moment, I am feeling both depleted from 14 months of online teaching and energized by this new challenge.

For fun I cook, bake bread, do my yoga, knit, travel, spend time with friends, and try to be open to how this life is unfolding. Almost three years ago, when I turned 50, I decided to take up the cello. I have no musical background, but I am learning so much. And, more than anything, my weekly lessons and daily practice have kept me continuously in the beginner’s mind.

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bigiwright)

Your name Georgia Wright

Pronouns they them and sheish/herish heish/himish

Where are you located in the world? currently in southern NH and mostly in West Marin - SF Bay Area

Tell us about yourself—family of origin, professional work - I am a retired technologist, I am a current yoga teacher and sound bath facilitator. I had a lot of childhood trauma, parents that were unavailable due to their substances abuse, emotional incest, adult children stuff. I am currently in recovery, 19 years, I have lived on the streets/been houseless, been incarcerated, been in raids, had guns pulled on me.

What is your current yoga practice? I currently practice a whole blend of yoga, asanas that are inquisitive , responsive to my body's needs, patient, slow, and loving. Yoga in combination with recovery changed my whole game, when I got my 200 hr I wanted to work with women in recovery, and teach to those who do not fit in a studio setting. I too, like someone else in our group, was doing Hospitals and Institutions work through AA, bringing AA meetings into Marin County Jail, I reached out the program director there and asked about bringing yoga in, and thus followed the juvenile hall gig. it was some time after this that I met James Fox and took his trainings. I met Chanda at a PYP training in Berkeley. 

Why did you choose the PYP 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training? I currently work in facilities and want to add to my trauma informed arsenal.

What populations are you interested in serving as a Yoga Teacher? currently working with youth Marin Juvenile Hall, and female identified adults in Marin County Jail, mixed genders in a South SF Bay Drug Rehab, and female identified youth in a drug rehab in Marin.

What do you hope to learn in this training? enhance my education and my offerings

How are you feeling right now, at this moment? fantastic!

What do you do for fun? hike , yoga, eat with friends, photography, biking, hanging with elders, hanging with KIDS! and animals

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@aalovesyou)

Good evening friends, my name is Andrea and my pronouns are her/they. I’m located in Brownsville, Texas, although I’m currently in Queens, New York visiting family. I was born in Ecuador, bilingual (spanish-english), and I have been a mindfulness instructor for over a year. I was first introduced to the interconnection of mindfulness and social justice when I volunteered and interned at The Journey Home ( https://thejourneyhome.blog/?fbclid=IwAR2fJBx4IkQM3BpGoPlmp3LeEzvxZXbS9PPuhod6ugpdVK9a88hEXM4Q3Ms ) and I had the opportunity to facilitate mindfulness based practices inside a local county jail. I typically engage in mindfulness movements (Qi-Gong, Tai Chi, or yoga) in the morning and night time. I chose the PYP 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training because of its focus on healing, trauma-informed yoga, and social-justice. As a Yoga Teacher I’m interested in serving the immigrant population, and more specifically DACA and undocumented youth. I hope to learn the history of yoga, it's deep connection with our growth, and how to use it to serve others. I’m feeling excited and nervous to join the first live class tonight! For fun I enjoy reading books, listening to affirmations, music, taking photos/video, gardening, cooking, coloring, learning, enjoying time with loved ones, spending time in nature, and mindfulness practices (journaling, yoga, Qi-Gong).

Celesta, Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@celestialyoga1gmail-com)

1. Your name

Celeste (Smith) Odiakachi

1. Pronouns

She/Her

1. Where are you located in the world?

I live in Birmingham Alabama.

1. Tell us about yourself—family of origin, professional work.

My mother and I moved to Pacoima, California when I was 14 years old (1973). We moved back to Alabama when I was 33 years old (1993). I was a single parent of 2 adult children, a son and daughter. My son has a BS degree in Business obtained from a private Christian school, my alma mater. He is also a Pastor. My daughter has a BS degree in Animal Science, MS in Biology and is currently a 3rd year student of Veterinary medicine. She obtained her degrees from 2 HBCUs. I am the youngest child of 7 siblings with an age difference of 20+ years. Both parents and 5 siblings have passed away. The living sibling is the youngest brother, but older than me. My traditional/formal education: Bachelor of Science in Human Resources and a Master of Science, Management. I retired last year from The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Office of Sponsored Programs. I was born in Fairfield, Alabama.

1. What is your current yoga practice?

I am practicing the Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series.

1. Why did you choose the PYP 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training?

I chose this training because it meets the criteria I have been searching for. I believe the training will help me better understand how to assist people that do not have a support system, social and justice system to deal with issues in healthcare, low income, addiction recovery communities that I may be able to share my yoga practice with. I want to be of service and now that I am retired, I can pursue my dream of having a yoga studio that address social disparities in forgotten communities.

1. What populations are you interested in serving as a Yoga Teacher?

especially, to those who have experienced trauma, abuse, neglect, the physical and mental prison of the mind where there is no hope, no future, no love, no life, no joy, fearful of the past, present and future. Yoga gives me just what I need at the right time. Give to others what has been being given to me - my experience, strength, and hope.

1. What do you hope to learn in this training?

I believe this training addresses social issues that effects for disadvantaged people. It is my goal to use the training of this program to show how yoga can help with trauma and reduce the impact of suffering from PTSD, sexual abuse, rape, depression. Additionally, the training will help me the to understand, relate to, and help others using yoga as a tool for those who are in prison, veterans, disabled, mental health issues, etc., and find peace in the chaos of living in their city, state and/or country and help people like me. To do no harm.

1. How are you feeling right now, at this moment?

I feel hopeful, excited, afraid of failure but ready to stop living in fear and walk around or through fear and find the peaceful place that practicing yoga gives me.

1. What do you do for fun?

I enjoy gardening, listening to various types of music, reading, relaxing whenever I can since I am retired. I have 2 dogs, senior male (12 years old) and middle-aged female (7 years old) and 1 senior male cat (9 years old) adopted from the Humane Society.

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cathyaocasiogmail-com)

My name is Cathya Ocasio (she/her). I live in Stratford, New Jersey. I am Puerto Rican and first generation born stateside. I was born in North Philly, Pennsylvania and raised in Camden, New Jersey. I come from a family of army war veterans. I am the youngest of three and we are all dispersed across the U.S. My parents moved to North Philly from Puerto Rico in the early 90's. I am fluent in spanish. I recently retired early from law enforcement. I was a police officer in Camden City and then became a child abuse detective for a prosecutor's office or district attorney's office as some states call it. I have worked in and with urban populations my entire life. Living and being raised in Camden and having ties to North Philly, I have always felt connected to life in urban settings. My current yoga practice is self practice. When I started yoga 3 years ago, the spaces that offered yoga weren't welcoming to me. They felt elitist and exclusive. I started to practice alone at home and have done so since. I chose this training because trauma has impacted my life. Intergenerational trauma, complex trauma and vicarious trauma. I want to deepen my practice but also want to offer a trauma focused yoga to BIPOC, latinx folks specifically in urban communities. I have worked with the migrant population for years both professionally and personally. I have members of my family who have been and currently are incarcerated and I want to continue to serve. I hope to learn how trauma affects the body, how to deepen my practice and how to lead others in practice. I am feeling anxious and eager to learn. I tend to my plants, sing, dance, cook, play with my son, spend time with my husband and hike.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Cathya

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Sade
(@sadeshelly210gmail-com)

1. Sade Shabazz

2. She/Her

3. I am a 22 year old black woman who loves to help others and has a passion for black lives around the world. I have seven siblings and many family friends, I love people and yoga. I am currently working in housing and perusing that passion and trying to implement yoga. 

5. My current yoga practice is on and off my mat. Studying the history of baptise, power and the traditionally and ethical practices of hatha yoga. I also try to spread and share my knowledge on the platforms I serve. 

6. I chose PYP 200 YTT because my brother and bestfriend is incarcerated and yoga has helped me through this experience. I know with the proper education and information I can impact someone's life who is experiencing low points. I know I am capable because of my ability to learn and impact people, like I have done in the past. 

7. I want to serve incarcerated populations. I want to begin during the training serving college student and the homeless population in my city. 

8. I hope to learn how to teach yoga in a trauma informed way and in a more calming and relaxing style of yoga unlike power and baptise style.

9. I am feeling tired but accomplished, right now in this moment.

10. I like to hike, read, surround myself with loved ones and travel. Concerts are probably my favorite experiences in life.

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Kaia
(@kaiajackson180gmail-com)

Dear folks, I'm so grateful to be a part of this space! My name is Kaia Jackson (they/them)- I'm tuning in from Northampton, MA and unceded Nonotuck land. My family of origin is ethnically Jewish on one side, and Welsh/Swedish/English/Scottish/German (and who knows what else?) on the other. I am slowly but surely diving into ancestral healing work, and have so much to learn about the spiritual practices that sustained folks, alongside the experiences and enactments of trauma, displacement, genocide and assimilation into white society/ways of being. I am in a time of discernment on my professional trajectory- I am a healing arts facilitator who has worked with youth, trauma survivors and folks with disabilities for many years. I also recently trained in practicing trauma-informed spiritual care, and am excited about the emerging field of movement chaplaincy (providing spiritual care to folks engaged in organizing and activism). I am considering ways of integrating farming, survivor organizing, and storytelling/podcasting into my weekly schedule. 

Yoga has been a huge part of my life in the past four years. In 2017, I started a yoga teacher training program which helped me to develop a more regular practice (short breathing and movement practices in the morning and sometimes throughout the day, and longer flows 3-4 times a week). My practice has been an important place of return throughout the pandemic- while I have at times struggled with consistency amidst many life transitions, I have more intentionally been learning and practicing Yin Yoga with a beloved teacher, Sonya Verma, and attending Yoga Church with Summer Cushman. I chose to attend this PYP training for so many reasons. Firstly, I feel a deep calling to be a part of a yoga learning community that explicitly engages with conversations around social justice from a healing-centered and trauma-informed care. The week that the shelter-in-place order came in Indiana, I was about to begin teaching a weekly class at Indiana Women's Prison, an arrangement I had made with very little support or guidance from the teacher training program I was enrolled in at the time. As I am moving towards yoga teaching certification and moving forward with plans to share yoga with folks who are often denied access, in prisons and/or elsewhere, I want to be a part of a community of learning that shares in and holds me accountable to embodying my values. In this training, I hope to learn about the places in myself that require greater attention and healing to be a grounded and self-aware yoga teacher. I also hope to learn from others lived experiences, perspectives and questions in navigating how to provide trauma-informed care through yoga with different populations. 

At this moment, on the brink of beginning this training (a week late!), I am feeling nervous, hopeful, and grateful that this opportunity exists. My sweet pup Apollo will be here to help me stay grounded (and goofy), and to walk me through having a body on a beautiful sphere hurling itself through space. I love to listen to stories and poems of all kinds, and excited to get to know everyone in this training!

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@amber8jones8gmail-com)

Hi! My name is Amber Jones (she/her). I live in Castle Rock, Colorado, but plan to move to San Diego in the near future. I am a PE teacher, and currently work in a Title 1 school. My introduction to yoga was being told that I would be teaching 5 hours of yoga, daily, to high school students. I have a degree in Kinesiology, but I had only been to two yoga classes. I was handed a binder for Core Power Yoga 200-hour YTT. So, I learned vinyasa from the binder, and became obsessed with every yoga teacher I could find on YouTube. I took everything I knew, and turn my yoga class into a ‘fusion style’ of yoga that high school students would respect. I had to be careful not to cross and religious boundaries in the public school, and I had to make it relatable to teenagers. I desperately wanted a formal YTT. My yoga practice became me teaching 5 hours of yoga M-F. My body got strong, and I narrated my experience to my students as I taught them. I was learning how to cue from the adjustments I made physically and mentally. Somehow, I reached them. I have found that I struggle to dedicate myself to my own practice unless I’m teaching. My calling is to learn from each of you.

My teaching community is made up of underserved populations, and I hope to make an impact at the elementary school level and disrupt the school to prison pipeline that is a tragic reality. My philanthropic life revolves around supporting LGBTQ youth. Again, yoga becomes a beautiful tool in affinity spaces. Experiencing yoga through the social justice and trauma informed lenses is an absolute dream. I hope to serve the public school student population, and would love to have access to moving into JDC or working with incarcerated women. I know the hard work and reflection of this training will help me uncover the grace I need to work with my students.

Right now I am feeling late to the game. School just ended and I am finally able to be present, physically and mentally, for training. I am also disappointed and embarrassed that I have not be able to take part in the first 2 sessions.

For fun, or self care, I learn everything I can…podcasts, audio books, webinars, classes…and I tap dance.

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@creamerelissagmail-com)

Hello Loves! Elissa Creamer here she/her writing from Hagerstown, MD although I have grown up and reside in Charles Town, WV approximately 70 miles West of Washington, DC.
I am a CODA- child of deaf adults, my first language is American Sign Language. My maternal great grandparents are German immigrants and settled in North Dakota where they had my grandfather who later in life met my grandmother who was a brown skinned Canadian beauty who grew up in an orphanage in Canada. They had my dear momma who became deaf at the age of 18 months from rheumatic fever. My momma traveled and attended Gallaudet University in Washington DC which is a university for deaf and hard of hearing which recently in 2002 began accepting hearing students she met my father at Gallaudet. My father is a Black American, I do have plans to find out his and my paternal families place of origin.

My momma transcended from her early body in 1999. Her physical body was hit by a train. I was 15 years old at the time of her accident and my older brother was 18 years old. It took me over 15 years to be able to talk and or write about my mom and her accident. I am so grateful for the practice of meditation, yoga, kundalini yoga, new and full moon rituals which have all attributed to my healing and acknowledgment of trauma and grief in the body.

I am a single momma to 2 magnificent humans my son, Xavier, just graduated from high school and will attend Elmira College in Elmira, NY in the fall to play soccer and study he thinks business administration. My daughter, Lyric, will go to middle school in the fall. I’ve learned to take care of myself first always so I can take better care of my children and everyone else I love- Debran Gibson who’s in this group said it best “ I hope to learn trauma informed approaches I can use as an ongoing race to heal my daughter faster than the trauma can affect her” yes yes I feel this same exact way I do my work for me, for my children and for my family seven generations prior to me seven in the future.

I am a high school teacher I am completing year 14 this year as a educator. My undergrad is in secondary education with a concentration in Family and Consumer sciences my graduate degree is in special education. I currently teach high school students grades 9-12 how to cook. I teach the first year cooking class at my high school “Gourmet Foods” I also practice daily meditations with my students and have them keep gratitude journals thats they write in daily. I am also the co sponsor to the Yoga and meditation club at school. Outside of public education I am in the midst of launching my own business you can find me on Instagram @lovebeamwellness I am a Reiki Master Teacher, I work with clients I teach reiki and I also work with clients one on one as a mediation coach/guide.
My current yoga practice is Kundalini yoga which involves chanting and movement.

I chose PYP because it aligns with everything I believe in and they speak my language and I love it! I feel so honored to have found this community of human beings it makes my heart so happy!
I would like to continue to serve youth populations! I am also very interested in working with the prison population. I would like to work with BIPOC population.
I hope to learn how to become a trauma informed yoga facilitator

I am feeling really excited to be connecting with this community of like minded individuals! I feel so proud of each and every person here who is showing up for themselves onward onward onward we go doing the work to heal ourselves our families our communities our corners of the world how magnificent that is indeed!

For fun I like to be in nature I love a good hike in the mountains on the cliffs I also enjoy the ocean. I also enjoy watching my son play soccer and my daughter dance. I enjoy live music and dancing. I also enjoy quiet evenings with a good book I’m currently reading “ Real Love- The Art of Mindful Connection” by Sharon Salzburg it’s so so good and feels very aligned to what we are up to here
also

I typed this whole thing on my phone which I normally do not do so I’m unsure how long it is or if all the grammar is correct sometimes we just simply have to lean in so I’m leaning in I wanted to get this done today and so here it is! Thank you for reading I am so excited and so honored to be here

Bee reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kithumbigmail-com)

My name is Grace Church (her/she) from Roanoke Virginia.  I am originally from a small village called Nzatani in Kenya.  For the  past 23 years I have been in a Human Resources professional.  This changed after my son was sentence to serve time in prison in September of 2019.  I started looking for answers.  I was looking for a way to heal the unbearable pain and suffering I was experiencing.  My search brought me to the Prison Yoga Project Community.  As I learned more and more about prison yoga my mind was totally convinced PYP was what I wanted to do moving forward.  I plan to serve within the public school system, the juvenile, jail and prison systems, and in our black American community here in Roanoke, Virgina.  This training with provide me with the skills I need to effectively faciliate a yoga trauma informed training with student, junivenile, inmates and community members.  Those within our communities who have limited opportunities to heal their trauma through trauma informed yoga.  Right now I feel confident that my decision to get involved with this training has been God send and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity.

Bee reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kithumbigmail-com)

My name is Grace Church (her/she) from Roanoke Virginia.  I am originally from a small village called Nzatani in Kenya.  For the  past 23 years I have been in a Human Resources professional.  This changed after my son was sentence to serve time in prison in September of 2019.  I started looking for answers.  I was looking for a way to heal the unbearable pain and suffering I was experiencing.  My search brought me to the Prison Yoga Project Community.  As I learned more and more about prison yoga my mind was totally convinced PYP was what I wanted to do moving forward.  I plan to serve within the public school system, the juvenile, jail and prison systems, and in our black American community here in Roanoke, Virgina.  This training with provide me with the skills I need to effectively faciliate a yoga trauma informed training with student, junivenile, inmates and community members.  Those within our communities who have limited opportunities to heal their trauma through trauma informed yoga.  Right now I feel confident that my decision to get involved with this training has been God send and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity.

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Elke
(@elkestoe)

Hi ya’ll! My name is Elke (pronounced elk-uh), and I go by she/her pronouns. I am currently residing on the Pinellas peninsula just outside of Tampa, Florida; the native homeland of the Seminole (the only Tribe in America who never signed a peace treaty, which makes me want to get to know them more!).

I was born and raised in a suburb of Dallas, Texas, and have lived on the east and west coasts of the US as an adult. My father moved to the US from Germany, at the end of WWII, when he was 11. My parents met in Indiana and moved to Dallas, TX before I was born. They divorced when I was 7-ish from a tumultuous marriage. They both have their intergenerational, unhealed trauma. I scored 9 out of 10 on the ACE. I repeated my freshman year in high school 3 years in a row (because I was rarely actually there), and then ran away, was doing intravenous drugs by age 15, went into jail, then rehab, dropped out of high school, and got married to an abusive man. Since then, I have been on a journey of self-loathing, self-medication, unhealthy relationships; and then also seeking help, searching for “God”, and going on a journey of healing. During this journey I came across a donation-based yoga class which turned out to be more healing and transformative than any self-help book or therapy I had ever tried. I felt angry and saw flashes of red during that first yoga class; but, after class I found myself feeling much lighter and actually giddy. However, I did not really experience the big healing yoga could offer me until I entered into my first Yoga Teacher Training, because it was not until then that I truly dedicated myself to a regular practice. That was also the first time I was exposed to any yoga philosophy, which I found very healing as it showed me a new way to think and orient my beliefs about myself and the world. I also started chanting and meditating, and experiencing the yoga of those practices.

Yoga helps condition my nervous system, and my belief system, so that I can better deal with the deep hurt that gets uncovered or triggered by life; thus, decreasing the need to numb out. Yoga introduced me to something in myself I had never known before, which is sometimes called the “observer”, the “witness”, or the Self, where I can access wisdom, strength, forgiveness, and compassion. With this, I have been able to be present to various kinds of pain without the need to numb out; thus, integrating splintered-off parts of myself and allowing healing to take place. Accessing this part of myself allowed me to see myself as more than the addictions, depression, failures, and shame. With regular asana practice, I experience the lessons learned from the asanas, while off the mat. Yoga has shown me a side of myself I never would have seen or recognized without it.

My current profession is in Customer Service (those people you hate to have to call, lol). But I actually really enjoy it, as I am almost always able to make someone’s day a little better. I get to practice namaste all day long, and strengthen that light within myself and others.

My current yoga asana practice is off and on; some weeks I practice 5 days and others I might practice only once. I am looking forward to making it more steady during this training however, as I know how healing it will be.

I chose this PYP training because when I got done with my first YTT my desire was to bring it to the incarcerated. I came so close to going to prison myself, and have had dear friends go there. I understand some of the trauma a person usually experiences before ending up in prison; and I understand how healing yoga can be for trauma in the body and mind. I have also thought of teaching the senior population because I know some of them think they can’t do yoga. I want people to know that yoga is for every body and that it is a personal practice that heals.

What I hope to learn in this training is how to best approach teaching trauma-informed yoga. For me the greatest gift of my yoga practice has taken place in my mental health, and I want a way to help others experience that. I want to share with others how yoga can be something that helps them feel safer in their bodies and minds, and gives them more agency in their own life.

How I am feeling right now, at this moment, is grateful, humbled, and challenged.

What I do for fun is drumming, dancing, cuddling with my dog, chanting, yoga, and going on walks in nature.

Bee and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Kari
(@kapow75gmail-com)

Good morning all! I am way behind on my work and catching up and here is my introduction😂

My name is Kari (she/her) and I am joining from down south in Arkansas. I am a substance abuse counselor for our parole population and work for the state community corrections agency. I have been a consistent yoga practitioner for about 10 years but am absolutely still a beginner in ability. I am passionate about yoga and mindfulness because I have reaped the benefits in my own life. I also teach a mindfulness relapse prevention group in my area. PYP will provide an opportunity to bring the skills of mindfulness and yoga to my area and the corrections population I serve. My hope is to start my first PYP group with a local transitional living facility that houses men on parole. I am anxious but excited to learn all I can. For fun I enjoy spending time outdoors camping, hiking, kayaking and such. I love to draw and paint as well. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2