8/27/26 Live Session Recording
This week we discussed the Niyama of Santosha (Contentment) and explored the 7th week of introducing a new program, focusing on the Integration and Relaxation phase of sequencing.
Kindly share what resonated with you or feel welcome to review the following suggested prompts:
- How might you incorporate discussions of the niyama of Contentment in spaces where contentment may not feel accessible to participants?
- What is your personal relationship with rest and/or integration of new learning or topics that you might share to support participants?
Niyama of Satosha (contentment)
I started to have a great interest in yoga philosophy. I have been doing yoga quite a long time but it was only asana and breathing. Yes, I had learnt the theory a little bit before but I thought it was kind of boring to me at that time and I was more focused on achieving a good looking posture. Didn't really realize yoga is so much beyond that.
Finding contentment in a discontented world. That sounds like tremendous of practice, dedication and on going discipline which I kind of lack of and I have to admit those are my weakness that I need to work on. Contentment is from the connection to yourself, unwavering trust in self. A lot of individuals have difficulty of trust in self including me. Is it meant to be hard? However listening to affirmation and talking to myself in front of mirror every morning helped me a lot to overcome this self trust issue. For a long time, I let my ego control myself. I still hear my ego telling me whatever it wants to say but the difference now is that I do not let my ego to dictate myself. Today I can observe it and kind of know how to gently separate it from my true self. I found out this practice is not one time practice. This is the practice that I have to do every single day just like we need to injest food and sleep every single day. When I miss this practice several days, I know immediately I am going back to my old self. So our mind needs to be nourished as much as our physical body, definitely.
I enjoyed listening to the story of going to the wood and live there for 27 years. Maybe not 27 years and not completely alone by myself but I would love to live in the wood without the connection to the outside the world for 6 months. That has been always my dream. But at the same time I also try to be contented wherever I am at this moment and feeling gratful of what I have right now because there are happiness everywhere. Everyday not might be happy but there is a happiness in every day if we know how to perceive it.
Watching this week’s recording on Santosha felt pretty validating and comforting to be with my fellow “recovering perfectionists” and overachievers. I couldn’t help but think that it makes a lot of sense for folks in this class to relate to that, because we are literally all enrolled in a class that no one forced us to be in simply for the sake of improving ourselves and becoming “better” humans in service of others. A little ironic, lol.
In the module reflection assignment for this week, I talked a lot about how I have spent most of my life always striving for the “what’s next.” From getting into the “right” college, to landing the “best” internship, to finding the “perfect” job, it just felt like a never ending cycle of needing more and never fully celebrating or being satisfied with the work it took to get there. So contentment feels like a super salient and resonating topic for me.
I feel like contentment is both a practice and an innate knowing or feeling. It is a practice in the sense that I have to consciously slow down to notice and appreciate what is already here. I practice gratitude for the life I have built, the people I have in my life, the experiences I have had, etc. Santosha reminds us that we don’t have to be continuously chasing the next thing, and that we can be grateful for what we currently have in the present and recognize that it is enough. But I also appreciate how it doesn’t equate to not having goals or wanting to be better. Those things can and should still exist simultaneously.
I also think contentment is a knowing or feeling. For me, it feels like a genuine trust that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, even when where I am feels difficult, uncertain, or different from what I imagined. This connects to some of my previous reflections about learning to trust my own inner knowing rather than getting caught in the endless “what ifs” and “maybes” of my mind. Santosha feels like an invitation to trust and find contentment in knowing that I can navigate life without having everything figured out. It’s like true contentment with self.
I have always had issues with sleep and have had weird sleep paralysis and vivid dreams that keep me up at night. Sometimes I find it hard to go back to sleep after these incidents. I found the sleep study/mindfulness interesting because I am always aware of my sleep habits so it was nice to actually be able to write what I noticed down instead of noticing it and then moving on. I think I am going to invest in a sleep journal.
Santosha made me reflect a lot about how I am perceived by others and how that may or may not affect how I behave. A lot of these modules and weeks have been heavy on self exploration for me so this one particularly was interesting. 'what are the things that disrupt your peace when you are truly alone' was a huge question that I had to keep asking myself and I think I am still trying to figure that part out.
Seeing the obstacles to contentment slide was enlightening because some of the things I didn't even really consider to be barriers personally, but they could be holding me back subconsciously.
I love the chakras and I spend a lot of time focusing on them in my own practice! In this line of work especially since a lot of us are social services or human service workers we often have to ask ourselves what we are contributing to the community and what do I stand for? This can change day to day and can look different for everyone. I try my best to think about my contributions often to help keep myself from burning out. It is not always about what we are giving and more about what I am gaining.
I have learned that rest does not always come naturally to me, especially when I feel like there is always something else I could be doing. I am working on viewing rest as part of the process rather than something I have to earn after being productive. In facilitating, I would share the importance of giving ourselves time to pause, process, and integrate new experiences. Sometimes creating space to simply breathe and notice what is happening internally can be just as valuable as continuing to move forward.
I think it is important to approach Santosha with compassion and without suggesting that participants should simply be “happy” with difficult circumstances. Contentment can be framed as finding small moments of acceptance, presence, or gratitude without denying what someone is experiencing. I could invite participants to notice what feels supportive in the present moment, even if it is simply their breath, a moment of quiet, or the ability to make a choice for themselves. This allows Santosha to be an invitation rather than an expectation.