2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

2/29/24 Live Session Recording

Video Link: Trauma & The Nervous System: A Polyvagal Perspective by The Trauma Foundation.

Greetings! If you were unable to attend the live session, please watch the recording and post your reflection as you are able. Please comment on the Guest Presentation by Priscilla Castro on Somatic Tools. Please also share your thoughts on concepts of "stealing" and the discussion of Asteya. Please feel free to add any additional thoughts/questions about the nervous system video and the centering practice offered at the end of the session.

(@hstroud22outlook-com)

I found the somatic tool strategies helpful and will incorporate them into my own practice and life. I found the the idea of co-self regulation interesting that you can sit with another person and help them to self-regulate without the need to touch. I feel that this is something that I have instinctually done but it was nice to have examples of this. I know that in the work I do at BSH, I will try and speak in a calm and low voice when someone is upset or dysregulated. I try to take slow deep breaths as a way to help them calm their nervous systems down. 

The definition of stealing I learned at a very early age. I am not sure who I learned it from, but I knew it was wrong. The definition that I learned was that stealing is when you take something from someone that does not belong to you without permission. The idea of stealing from ourselves is a new concept and I think that it is not talked about as much. I think I steal from myself everyday but have never felt that this is an injustice, but something that is acceptable. I steal my joy with thoughts of where I think I should be or by comparing myself to others. I steal my achievements by saying maybe I could of done better or that I still have a way to go. Talking to myself as though I were a friend is something I don't do. I am always hardest on myself and don't allow the joy or feeling of achievement come in or stay for long. I find I am hard on myself as a means to keep improving. I would never talk to a friend the way I speak to myself and even though I know this, it still seems to creep in. When I find myself doing this, I try and tell myself "stop" and I say "I release what does not serve me." I find myself doing this over and over and over. At which point does it happen naturally? I am not sure. Does it happen in the stillness and the absence of thought or the movement without judgment and connecting to the breath. I Have a lot to let go of and find myself more aware of what does not serve me, but still need to find how to actually let go. 

Thank you,

Heather

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote