Notifications
Clear all

3/30/23 Week 11 Reflections (After Watching the Recording)

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Jen
(@jen-lindgren)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

3/30/23 Live Session Recording

Please reflect on the discussion of Tapas (Discipline) and consider what postures and props you might offer in a 30 minute Trauma-Informed Sequence. If you are interested, please feel free to record your sequence and send it to me for feedback. Also consider reaching out to other members of our cohort to create a small workgroup. 

(@amandarichlinegmail-com)

I love this discussion. It gave me a new appreciation for discipline. I have always looked at it as working harder, staying more committed, and having the motivation to get things done. I think that is from my past and always heard that I had none or needed discipline. I joined the military to help me get more and to be able to go to school. But I love how you talked about part of discipline is learning to listen to yourself and your body. It is also a good reminder to reach for what is good for me and what will benefit me and those around me, including my children. I tend to go for unhealthy things to bring me comfort, but lately, reaching for this practice has brought me so much more fulfillment, and it lasts, not like watching tv or eating junk, which just leaves you wanting more, and it's meant to. But I have had much more energy and felt more nourished than I have in a long time, if ever. Instead of looking at eating better as a punishment, I have intentionally fueled my body with good things, and when I need a release, going barefoot in the grass and stretch. Looking at these things as a gift is discipline, listening to my body and mind is discipline. 

ReplyQuote
(@mariahbodysoulgmail-com)

I appreciated this discussion of Tapas. As Jen mentioned, Tapas allows us to have the "Phoenix" experience within ourselves. Tapas allows for the burning down of old ideals, ways, expectations, habits, suppressions, etc. This brings us to a place of a new lens of life (evaluations, etc.). The newfound knowledge and outlook allows us to continue moving to the next level of who we are. It's a lifelong journey, so the key is finding that security within ourselves.

Here is the 30 min. trauma-informed sequence:
I enjoy opening and closing my youth sessions with an invitation to recite affirmations if that feels right for them:
- I am worthy
- I believe in my skills and abilities
- My voice matters
- No one knows me better than I know myself
- I am evolving

Sequence:
Energy release: swaying side to side, arm circles, quad stretch, deep breathing, forward folds
Dynamic warm-up: marching in place, hip circles, overhead stretch, side stretch
Strength & mobility: sun salutations, warrior postures, goddess pose; (seated) cat/cow, down dog to cobra stretch, low lunge with rotations
Concentration & focus: chair pose, single leg knee tucks, pigeon pose, butterfly pose
5-7 minutes of shavasana (invitation)

ReplyQuote
(@drsoniap)

thank you Jen, Amanda & Mariah

I like your comments on what is the real meaning of discipline. I agree for me it is more about being kind to myself and telling myself kind things on a daily basis rather than sticking (or thinking I need to stick) to a rigid routine that is not sustainable.

I like your idea of starting with an affirmation, Mariah!

This is my sequence:

Discharge Practice: Start with an energy release that gives some options such as toe taps, hip circles, swinging the arms, tapping opposite elbows with the opposite knees back and forth a few times, flicking energy out the fingertips, and offering that participants can do whatever movements they choose and do the movements as vigorously or as gentle as their energy feels. 

Dynamic warm up: side stretches with arms where they are comfortable--either to the sides or overhead, gentle forward and backward bends, neck rolls, and ankle rotations.

Then do a centering one hand on the heart and one on the belly and invite participants to notice their breath and silently pick an intention for the class, giving some suggestions such as to just stay in the class and see what comes up, be present in my body, to bring my awareness to my emotional state, to bring some peace to an aspect of my life, etc.

Strength & Mobility: all poses offering modifications with a chair and/or props--sun salute, forward bend, lunge, warrior, tree

Connection & focus; plank, cobra, chair pose, standing forward bend, plank, child's pose

Integration & Relaxation: legs up the wall, knees to chest, spinal twist on floor

Closing breath work: corpse (options to modify, including using chair yoga, or option to stand for corpse pose) with one hand on belly, one hand on heart and bringing awareness to breath. Breathing in and out through the nose, mouth closed (if comfortable) at their own pace. Revisit their intention. Ask what will they take from class going forward to the rest of the day.

ReplyQuote
(@sharreda-agmail-com)

This has been an eye-opening discussion for me. The concept of disciplining my expectations came to mind. SO, yes, self-discipline is important for me to accomplish things I am working toward and to better myself.....But it is also important to have disciple in what I expect from myself. This discipline allows me to chose and continually evaluate what is sustainable for me instead of what is expected of me from myself and society.

I have never been big on using props. I love the idea now. I can certainly see how they allow me to deepen my practice. 

The props I plan to use:

A blanket for lifting hips while in seated positions, allowing a more comfortable seat. A chair to help with balance during multiple phases of the class. Blocks under the knees when doing stretches such as head to knee. The wall for back support while doing seated postures and also for balance in several standing postures. I am still researching and learning different ways to use other props as well.....due to the lack of accessibilty at times. Things such a towels, sweatshirts, etc. 

ReplyQuote
(@jennievtcmonterey-org)

Tapas (discipline) is something that I turn into myself to look at. I believe with different things in life, I have a hard time having self discipline for a long period of time. I always give up or not believe in myself when deep down I know I really want to succeed. Letting go and trusting the process of letting go of the old and allowing the new to transform will be something that I will bring into my practice, especially while working within the prisons. 

I would start the class with a round robin style check in-

I would ask each individual what they believe they are looking to let go in this class, particularly emotions/feelings. I would start with a check in, followed with a 30 min sequence and then when the class is over, I would check back in on that emotion and ask how that feeling moved through their body.

Sequence:
Energy release: swaying side to side, with a little music in the background. 
Warm-up: overhead stretch, side stretch, (using the chair)
Strength & mobility: (seated) cat/cow, warrior III, and Tree pose
Focused positions: chair pose, mountain pose, and plank (invitation, only)
Ending with 5 minutes of shavasana or Childs pose (invitation)

ReplyQuote
(@brittany-lee223yahoo-com)

Discipline is something that I have always struggled with, starting in childhood and even now in my adult life. I do think that yoga can be seen as a discipline in the "real world" that people practice and use as even a boast of being better than another who may not be able to practice. Discipline as a word scares me and brings me anxiety. Even when I believe that someone is upset, like a boss or friend, I get extreme anxiety and feel physically sick, so thinking of the word itself makes me a bit anxious. I too have always hated running, Jen! lol. It has always been hard for me to commit, and that may be because I felt that I was not worth investing in. That I didn't matter enough, so it doesn't matter what I do. I think this speaks of the need to develop my own self love. I have never felt that I have met societal expectations or disciplines. I have never associated discipline with support or self compassion, so the lesson you gave us on this was really thought provoking for me.

For my trauma informed class, I would like to think that for a 30 minute session I would use whatever is easily accessible, possibly blocks, blankets, chairs, etc. I know that I particularly enjoy the blocks and the blankets, as they are not overtly obvious or attention drawing. Whereas someone using a chair may feel more awkward and uncomfortable in the class. I am unsure on sequencing, but shavasana is something that I would like to incorporate if possible.

ReplyQuote